Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Detechnologizing a product...


In the beginning I was thinking about the industrial toilet paper dispenser. From the user standpoint, it is cumbersome, not user friendly and not sexy. But it would be hard to detechnologize it since it does not contain a lot of technology.


Then today I went to the Science museum with my son and on the way back on
the street, I saw 3 landscaper with 3 leaf blower blowing a small pile of leaves on a driveway and I thought there it is. The leaf blower. It is over technologize for its task. It creates air pollution, sound pollution and uses our valuable petroleum.










I don't know what is preventing landscaper from using traditional leaf rake more, maybe it is laziness or maybe because the leaf blower looks more "professional"?( you need your tools to be motorized to be a professional. )
I think people would use traditional rake more if it is more stylish to use. Maybe it is like Japanese tea ceramony, where process is as important as the end goal.













Here is a my Ginko Rake, made of one piece stamped metal, (to be sure it is made in one place.) electroplated gold. (or any color)





















No comments:

Post a Comment